In 1697, before Bayport received its name, William Nicoll III, born to a family in Islip, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom, purchased a vast amount of land on Long Island. After his death in 1780, Jeremiah Terry and Gersham Hawkins purchased plots of land from Nicol III’s estate. In 1871, the hamlet, mainly known for farming, received its name of Bayport. Over time, many people would spend their down-time in Bayport, escaping their city life. Today, the hamlet of Bayport is in Suffolk County, located in the southeast part of the Town of Islip in Long Island bordering the hamlet of Blue Point, the Great South Bay, and houses the Bayport Fire Department, a Water Rescue Squad and the Bayport Aerodrome.
Scope of Collection
This collection consists of photographs of historic homes, landmarks and daily happenings within the town of Bayport, New York. Also included are maps, postcards and newspaper articles.