New-York Central College, McGrawville was an institution of higher learning founded by Cyrus Pitt Grosvenor and other anti-slavery Baptists in 1849 in McGraw, New York. The college was notable because it educated blacks as well as whites in the time of southern slavery and northern segregation, and educated women with men at a time when few institutions of higher learning were co-educational. In addition to the African-Americans in the student body, at least two of the school's faculty were also black. The school's curriculum included classical education as well as agricultural science.
Scope of Collection
This is a collection contains photographs of the classroom buildings, along with students and professors who attended the college . Also included are paper clippings, speeches, and notes about the New York Central College historical marker dedicated in 1985 where the school formely stood.