Steele Memorial Library
The Steele Memorial Library is the largest branch of the Chemung County Library District located in Elmira, NY. It is the mission of the Chemung County Library District to provide exceptional public library services and programs to our citizens; fulfilling their individual needs for educational, recreational, and cultural information through contemporary, well-maintained library collections and facilities located throughout Chemung County. The Steele Memorial Library has a vast genealogy and local history collection that includes Elmira newspapers, Federal and state census records on microfilm, local cemetery records, New York State Vital Statistics records on microfiche and much more.
Steele Memorial Library Information
- Chemung County Library District
- Chemung County Library District Genealogy Page
- Chemung County Library District Facebook Page
Collections in the Steele Memorial Library
Chemung County Atlases:
- A collection consisting of 2 early atlases of Chemung County (1869,1904) and 2 early atlases of the City of Elmira (1876, 1896). Each image in this collection is a full scale scan of the original items.
Floods of Chemung County
- This digital collection derived from the Chemung County Historical Society’s archive and the Chemung County Library District’s collection, includes photographs, documents, video, and/or sound recordings about the floods that impacted Chemung County.
Chemung County Historical Society
Founded in 1923, the Chemung County Historical Society is a non-profit educational institution dedicated to the collection, preservation, and presentation of the history of the Chemung Valley region. First chartered by New York State in 1947, today The Chemung county Historical Society operates two cultural repositories, the Chemung Valley History Museum and the Booth Library. We are the largest general history museum in our region.
Contact InformationChemung Valley Museum (http://www.chemungvalleymuseum.org/
607-734-4167, ext. 207