Bullis Family Collection
This collection includes the Bullis Family & Friends Album. From 1841 to 1979, four generations of the Bullis family lived in their cobblestone home which is listed on the Nation Register. In 1839, Charles Bullis settled in Macedon, NY with his wife Eleanor and built the home. They arrived with two children, Abraham and Emma. Abraham attended Geneva Medical College and became one of Macedon's first physicians. Dr. Abraham Bullis married Lydia Porter Lapham and they had 7 children, 6 of which grew to adulthood. Their fourth son, Abraham lived in the Macedon area for his entire life, and earned degrees in Mathematics and Civil Engineering from Cornell University and surveyed much of southwestern Wayne County, NY. His daughter Jeanette "Nettie" was also a lifelong resident of Macedon, and was valedictorian of her high school class in 1911. Miss Nettie Bullis worked at Gleason Works in Rochester, NY, for 47 years and at the time of her retirement in the mid-60's was Assistant Secretary of the Company. Jan Gleason later wrote of Nettie: "Nettie Bullis was the essence of loyalty and integrity. A consummate professional, she could always be relied on to produce meticulous, thorough and well-reasoned work." It was her generosity that brought the Bullis Book Collection and the personal papers and photos of the family to the Macedon Public Library. Her generosity has also contributed to the success of 100's of Palmyra Macedon Central School District graduates in scholarships and medical scholarships. The Bullis family still contributes to the well-being of southwestern Wayne County through grants and matching grants. Dr. Bullis' eldest son, John, became a Brigadier General in the Army on merit. He fought in the Civil War and commanded a company of USCT in the 118th Regiment. After the war he re-upped and with his unit of Seminole Negro Indian Scouts helped protect the settlers of South Texas. The photos in this album were taken in the mid-1800's through the early 1900's and include both family and friends.
Collection owner: Macedon Public Library