Mohawk Valley Boy Scouts Collection
The Mohawk Valley Boy Scouts Collection provides insight into the recreational and community activities of the Mohawk Valley’s civic organizations during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Because the collection spans many years and a wide geographic area, the locations and councils included in the collection vary. Rome’s Fort Stanwix Council and the Madison County Council of the city of Oneida merged in 1968 to form the Iroquois Council. Over time, several smaller councils merged together. In 1982, Rome’s Iroquois Council merged with the Upper Mohawk Council of Utica to form the Land of the Oneidas Council. The Land of the Oneidas Council merged with the General Herkimer Council in 2001 to form the Utica’s Revolutionary Trails Council, which served Central New York until the 2015 merger with the Oschedela council to form the Leatherstocking Council. The Revolutionary Trails Council encompassed camps such as Camp Kingsley, Camp Eatonbrook, and the Cederlands Scout Reservation. In recent years, the Boy Scouts of America sold many of their camps and land in the area. The Leatherstocking Council continues to host events and resident camps at Camp Kingsley (Ava, NY) and Henderson Scout Reservation (Maryland, NY).
This collection consists of a plethora of photographs, newspaper clippings, personal correspondence, and other assorted materials detailing the activities of the Boy Scouts of America in the Mohawk Valley from 1908 to 2002. The collection includes a variety of documents, troop charters, photographs, and twelve scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, photos, physical memorabilia, and scouting-related documents pertaining to a variety of different councils, troops, events, and locations associated with the Mohawk Valley Boy Scouts of America.
Collection owner: Utica College - Center for Historical Research