The Rochester Homeopathic Hospital and The Genesee Hospital Collection
On a wintery day in 1887, Mrs. Hiram Sibley witnessed a woman fall on the icy sidewalk outside her East Avenue home. She ordered her coachman to take the lady to the nearest hospital, which was the Rochester City Hospital on the other side of the city. This incident inspired her to join the cause for the establishment of a hospital on the east side of the city. Along with a group of other concerned citizens and local homeopathic physicians, Mrs. Sibley's efforts led to the granting of a charter by New York State for the estabilshment of the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital on May 25, 1887.
The hospital was established at 233 Monroe Avenue and opened on September 19, 1889. The institution eventually moved to 244 Alexander Street in 1894 and remained there until it closed in May 2001. Changes in medical science led the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital to change its name to Genesee Hospital in 1926.
During its one-hundred and two years, the Genesee Hospital grew to meet the needs of the community, acieving natural recognition as a pioneering leader in autologous bone marrow transplants, gastroenterology, coronary care and pulmonary treatment.